Lately I’ve been working on Hellmouth‘s combat interface. While I’ll be giving weapon choice a dedicated submenu, I’d like it to appear on the main screen as well. Unfortunately, I didn’t properly account for this in the initial interface design document. While I can change that design, I’m almost completely out of room so any change needs to be done carefully. Since it’s irritating to have to restart the game and seek out appropriate test cases after editing code, I started looking for a way to take an HTML screenshot of a console application.
About thirty seconds later, I remembered that I had Hellmouth running in shellinabox on my server!
It wouldn’t have been difficult to make a naive game interface -> HTML dump tool with each cell spawning a div of its own. However, since shellinabox needs to do a lot of DOM manipulation, it puts similarly-formatted content in the same div. This makes it a much better tool for the job.